Thursday, October 13, 2016

Focusing on the moon and beyond

Astronomy, a natural science, is the study of celestial objects (such as stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets and nebulae) and processes (such as supernovae explosions, gamma ray bursts, and cosmic microwave background radiation), the physics, chemistry, and evolution of such objects and processes, and more generally all phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth. A related but distinct subject, physical cosmology, is concerned with studying the Universe as a whole.
— Source Wikipedia
Gassendi crater - The Moon
 I have reinvigorated my love for astronomy.

When I was a teen I joined a local Astronomy club. I attended many nights under the stars braving the elements to catch a glimpse of our universe. My understanding of the stars, while starting to develop, was possibly driven at least in part by the search for E.T. Although I had an immature understanding of the probability of me discovering life on another planet while looking through an optical scope on the surface of the planet I can say it drove me to learn about things that my friends where oblivious to. Time went by and I got caught up in all things adolescence and my desire to learn more was pushed out in favor of the chase of girls and popularity.

I am now in my thirties (pushing it) and acquiring a small cheap department store telescope tapped the vein and like a true addict I relapsed into a deep well of desire for more. I rushed to purchase a scope I couldn't really afford and so began my journey back to the center of the universe.

I share with you today the first photo I took of the Gassendi Crater on the moon. I took this with an unmounted iPhone through my Celestron 127slt.

No comments:

Post a Comment