Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Intensity vs. Fall-off (with a bit of discipline)

Ideas. They are easy to come up with. A creative mind is constantly forming simple ideas. Of these ideas some are extreme others bland but overall the majority are usable ideas. The problem rests in the fact that a creative mind is stimulated be the creation process but possibly not the planning and execution phase. This takes discipline. Lots of creative thinkers possess this diciplin but alas not all. So in turn many ideas fall through the cracks lost forever, or until another more disciplined thinker gets a hold of them.

I have this problem. I work within a VERY creative team which at this point has not shown a lot of discipline. We come up with ideas (some of which are brilliant) and we think about them for a time get excited and then at some unspecified time we fall-off. No one to blame but ourselves.

I want to work on my discipline. This lack of discipline is the root cause of 95% of my issues in life. Do I need boot camp? Martial arts? Or is it simply learning disciplinary skills on my own. I don't think I am disciplined enough to do it alone.

1 comment:

digi said...

Over the last half a year or so I've been thinking about and working on this as well. These things help me, maybe they can help you?!

1. Focus on what matters and on what is within reach. Dreaming about making a 45 million dollar feature film is fun but unrealistic. Choose a couple of avenues where your passion is and make shit happen for yourself. Set goals. Use creative visualisation.

2. Don't rely on anyone else. There's all kinds of room to collaborate in the future and you should but until you have solid skills and "product" to bring to the table: be the absolute and omnipotent boss of your projects.

3. Ditch the distractions. i.e.: VIDEO GAMES are EVIL for stealing your time. Convince yourself of truths and may or may not be entirely accurate for the benefit of end goal. Convince yourself with mind tricks if needed to drop the distractions.

Plan your work, then work your plan. :)

Post a Comment